The amazing people at Vega School will be hosting the Cape Town GGJ event and has opened their doors to the public.
There will be 24-hour, access controlled security with safe parking inside the building and jammers are welcome to stay over onsite where they find a comfy spot to rest their head (if they choose to do so).
Is the site accessible for wheelchairs?
Yes, access via the parking garage where there is a lift.
What should you bring?
- Whatever you need to make your game. It can be a board game, digital game etc. The sky is the limit.
- Equipment is NOT provided.
- A pillow and blanket if you plan to stay over
How does it work?
- Jammers need to be at the venue for the theme reveal at 18:00 in the presentation room. The reveal takes the form of an official GGJ video. Come to a little earlier to settle in.
- After the theme release, we take a 35min snack break where jammers can discuss the theme and start coming up with ideas.
- After the break, jammers meet in the presentation room again and pitch said ideas to the group.
- In that game pitch, jammers state what their ideas are, what format it will be, what resources they would need (skills, equipment etc.) and then meet potential new friends to jam with on said idea.
- After the pitches, the jam starts!
- Teams need to have their games registered on the GGJ site in preparation for the game upload. Do not leave this for last - its always a MAD RUSH.
Please read all the submission requirements so that you and your team know what is expected to upload. Again, do not leave it to the last minute.
- Keep jamming!
- We would like all games to be playable in some shape and form by 5pm.
- Im planning on getting judges from the industry to play all the games and even some prizes. The categories will be released closer to the time.
- On Sunday afternoon, 48hours later, all games need to be upload to the GGJ site by 18:00pm.
Will there be snacks?
MAYBE- I will try my best to organise some snacks and refreshments. However, there is a PnP across the road, coffee shop outside and awesome snack places all around the venue.
How do I participate?
Register on the specific site venue via the GGJ website. If you do not register, the game you have worked on will not be licked to your name. You can still jam but there will be no record of you working on your game. You can not upload a game if you did not register yourself on GGJ and the site you are jamming at.
Is the venue cool?
Yes, it's very cool. Situated in the heart of Cape Town CBD, in De Waterkant - the venue offers 24hours security, free wifi (please do not download movies) a comfy rooftop with city views where you can smoke and beanbags to nap on.
Can I come alone?
YES! The point of GGJ is to make new friends and work with new skills and people. Even if you have never made a game or you are not creative - that's perfect! you will have a use and will find something to do even if it's making sound fx or just coffee for your friends.
If you need to speak to someone about the event, the venue or anything related, the RO and SO is JJ Rossouw.
Email: [email protected]
GGJ Cape Town Discord: https://discord.gg/nWM7k9Q